Sunday, February 24, 2008
“Kids Speak Out” Essay by Time Warner Cable and WVIZ/PBS ideastream
Kids Speak Out Essay Contest
Students in grades 11 and 12 are invited to enter a “Kids Speak Out” Essay Contest, sponsored by Time Warner Cable and WVIZ/PBS ideastream. Five winning entries will each receive a $1,000 scholarship to be awarded at a luncheon!
1. All students in the 11th and 12th grades are eligible.
2. Entrants are to write a 500-word essay on the following topic:
If you had 30 minutes with the next president of the United States, what issues affecting Ohioans would you want them to discuss and why?
Write an essay in which you explain why you selected these specific topic(s) and why you feel these are important issues to address.
3. The essays must be submitted in Microsoft Word format, 12 point – Times New Roman font, and be double-spaced.
4. Entries must include: student’s name, address, city, zip, birthdate, grade level, name of school, school district, e-mail address and both a primary and secondary phone number. (Home schooled students should so indicate).
5. Submit entries in one of two ways:
a. Electronically to email@example.com
b. Mailed to the following address:
Kids Speak Out 2008 Contest
1375 Euclid Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44115
Attention: Rita Bigham
6. Contest begins January 28, 2008. Entries must be received electronically or be postmarked before by 5:00 p.m., on March 14, 2008. Winners of the 5- $1,000 scholarships will be announced in mid-April.
7. All essays must be the original work of the entrant. Sources must be footnoted.
8. Entries will be judged on insightfulness (50%), relevance (25%), writing style (15%), and spelling & grammar (10%).
By entering all entrants agree to release discharge, indemnify and hold harmless WVIZ/PBS ideastream, Time Warner Cable, contest coordinators, sponsors, judges and members from all liability for its/their actions arising from, or relating to, or by reason of the judging, use and handling of their entry. Employees or immediate family members of WVIZ/WCPN/PBS/ideastream or Time Warner Cable are not eligible.